Thursday, December 16, 2010

Action Research course reflection: TF IV.C


TF IV.C

Apply multiple methods of evaluation to determine students’ appropriate use of technology resources for learning, communication, and productivity.


Action research is more than just having a topic and finding information to prove what you already knew. With action research you consider a topic of interest that will benefit further study that will have an impact on your school community. Action research is not a passive form of research. You can find and utilize different types of action research. Four types of action research for principals in an educational setting are through university coursework, superintendent/district meetings, leadership teams, and professional learning communities.

Blogging can be utilized by educational leaders to not only address their own learning but to share their learning with others. Blogs are a wonderful resource for reflection. If a leader wrote their reflection only a few others could benefit from their journal, whereas on a blog, anyone with internet connection can benefit from the leaders perspective. We must think more globally in education and even in our own reflections.

A few years ago my principal and I discussed the utilization of a one-to-one environment for our school. I have been researching the technologies available. Previously I was never impressed with a laptop that could be financially feasible and sustain the technologies utilized. Recently I found the Dell 2110 and networkable cart. After finding the Dell Netbook I was eager to find ways to implement this technology. Working with my principal, we designed a 5 year vision along with getting parent approval for purchasing using gifted money to our school. We decided that utilizing a one to one environment was more practical cognitively and financially with our third and fourth graders at our school that teachers Kindergarten through fourth grade students.

Since we decided on third and fourth grades to begin the one to one laptop initiative we thought it was important to begin with piloting the laptops in two of the six fourth grade classrooms and two of the six third grade classrooms. Since third and fourth are pivotal years in language arts testing, I wanted to ensure the proper implementation of these tools. I have decided to do an action research into how can the utilization of a one to one laptop environment help improve Language Arts in third and fourth grade classrooms.
In the course discussion board, I received several comments concerning my topic of research. Most people were very excited to learn the results of my study. One colleague posed a question that I had not considered. She asked if I planned to survey the students concerning their perceptions of the one to one laptop initiative. After reading her post, I have added a survey component to my action research where I will survey the student in third and fourth grades both students in the pilot and those not in the pilot program.

Since I am doing my research with third and fourth grades, they have many benchmarks and preliminary tests that are similar to TAKS. We also utilize MAPs (Measures of Academic Progress) testing which has a reading section. Third and fourth grade classrooms also do benchmarks and progress monitors throughout the year to assess students skills attained. To collect quantitative data I am going to compare results between classes utilizing 1-1 and classes not utilizing 1-1 at the same school. For qualitative data, I will discuss with teachers their utilization and their perceptions. I want to also work with the classes and try different Web 2.0 sites for collaboration.

During my action research project I will ensure that I disseminate the information learned. I plan to blog about my findings within my blogger site to ensure that whoever wishes to learn the findings can easily attain the information. In Leading with Passion and Knowledge, Dana states that it is important when sharing information from action research to include four components, “1-providing background information, 2-sharing the design of the inquiry, 3-stating the learning and supporting the statements with date, and 4-providing concluding thoughts.(p.163)”

I learned in this course that planned action research will give me an opportunity to organize my findings and to steer me in the correct direction. I will be able to more easily work with my teachers now that I have a stated goal of research.

Reference:
Fichman, Nancy Dana (2009). Leading with passion and knowledge: The principal as action Researcher. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment