Monday, September 19, 2011

Internship Reflections: TF 11.B


Apply current research on teaching and learning with technology when planning learning environments and experiences.

Help technology team by researching one-to-one laptop initiative and help pilot program.

I began researching different 1-1 laptop devices in August 2010. I met with several vendors to discuss their company’s options. After meeting with Chad Henderson from Dell, I realized that the Dell Netbook 2110 was what our campus needed. I was able to use the netbook for a trial period. I found the netbook to be extremely durable and hard working. I found that all the elementary programs would work on the laptop. The netbooks also had the availability to have a mobile lab with specific slot allocated for 24 laptops.

After getting the logistics of which laptop and the receiving quotes from Dell, I was able to meet with the principal and PTA gift committee concerning the decision to pilot a two netbook carts for third grade and two carts for fourth grade. The pilot would be from February 2011 till the end of May 2011. In the fall of 2011, we will purchase two more netbook carts for each third and fourth grade teams. In the Spring of 2012, we plan to purchase the final two carts for the final two classes in each third and fourth grade team.

During the pilot time, I met with the 4 teachers, two from third and two from fourth, to discuss ways to implement the netbooks. I created a group on our district Ning to keep our conversations and also have a list of resources the teachers could easily retrieve.

I implemented a book study on the book called 1-to-1 Learning by Pamela Livingston.

No comments:

Post a Comment